Our 888 Stir Fry Beef And Broccoli (And Other Green Veggies) recipe is pretty tasty... If you only cook one recipe in a wok, this Chinese food takeout classic should be it.
Jules and I have traveled all over China a few times now, and we've found that the flavors of 'Beef with Green Vegetables' are different in each region, and in each region, the Green veg will be different depending on the seasons.
|Cornstarch||1 Tablespoon (15 mL)|
|Baking soda||1/8 Teaspoon (1 mL)|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon (45 mL)|
|Flank steak||500 Gram , thinly sliced (against the grain, 1 pound)|
|Oyster sauce||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (60 mL)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon (15 mL)|
|Chile garlic sauce||1 Tablespoon (15 mL)|
|Neutral oil/Grapeseed oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (for frying)|
|Broccoli||250 Gram (1/2 pound, stems and florets cut up)|
|Asparagus spears/Green vegetable||250 Gram (1/2 pound)|
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, baking soda, sake, and 3 Tbsp of soy sauce.
2. Add the sliced beef to the bowl, and toss to combine, then set aside while you prep the rest.
3. Mix in a small bowl the oyster sauce, the remaining soy sauce, and the chile-garlic sauce.
4. Set aside.
5. Heat ¼ cup of oil in a wok set over high heat.
6. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add half the beef to the wok, and stir-fry until it is browned, crisp and about 60% cooked.
7. Transfer to a bowl or plate, and then repeat with remaining beef.
8. Wipe out the work, and return it to the stove over high heat.
9. Add a tablespoon of oil, swirling it around to heat it.
10. Add the broccoli, tossing and stirring frequently, until lightly charred.
11. Toss in the asparagus.
12. Add 2 tablespoons water to the wok, and steam until tender crisp.
13. Return beef to the wok, toss to combine, then add the sauce.
14. Cook, stirring and tossing until sauce reaches your desired thickness.
15. Serve and enjoy!