A quick and easy batter of semolina and curds fortified with colourful and crunchy veggies, yields mouth-watering appe thatll appeal to young and old alike.
The Instant Rava Appe is a scrumptious South Indian snack, which can be enjoyed with breakfast or at tea-time.
It is super simple to make as there is no grinding or fermentation required. You can just make it on a whim any time you wish. You can add any other vegetables also to this appe as per your liking. Serve it with coconut chutney.
|Semolina||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (rava / sooji)|
|Curd||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (dahi)|
|Grated carrot||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped capsicum||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Green chilli paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Oil||6 Teaspoon (2 tsp for Tempering and 4 tsp for greasing and cooking)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Curry leaves||8 (kadipatta)|
|Coconut chutney||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for serving)|
1. Combine the semolina and curds with approx. 5 tbsp of water and mix well using a whisk.
2. Add the carrot, capsicum, onions, coriander, green chilli paste and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
4. Add the tempering to the semolina-curd mixture and mix well.
5. Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ½ tsp of oil.
6. Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
7. Cook using ½ tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well.
8. Repeat steps 5 to 7 to make 21 more appes in 3 more batches.
9. Serve immediately with coconut chutney.