The Hyderabadi Biryani experience is simply incomplete without the quintessential Mirchi ka Salan. Mirchi ka Salan is a curry of Bhavnagari chillies, flavoured with a rich paste of roasted peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds and red chillies.
The spicy paste gives you a delectable kick, while tamarind pulp packs the extra punch. The chillies are not all that spicy, so it complements the paste very well.
|Green chill peppers||6 ((bhavanagari chillies))|
|Raw peanuts||5 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||2 1/2 Teaspoon ((jeera))|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon ((til))|
|Coriander seeds||2 Tablespoon ((dhania))|
|Whole dry kashmiri red chilies||1 , broken|
|Grated dry coconut||1 Tablespoon ((kopra))|
|Chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon ((lehsun))|
|Chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon ((adrak))|
|Curry leaves||6 ((kadi patta))|
|Grated onions||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon ((haldi))|
|Tamarind pulp||4 Tablespoon ((imli))|
1. Combine the peanuts, 2 tsp of cumin seeds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, dry Kashmiri red chilli and coconut in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool.
2. Combine the roasted ingredients, garlic, ginger and ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
3. Slit all the chillies lengthwise. Remove the seeds carefully using a small spoon and discard them.
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the chillies and shallow fry them on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the chillies and keep aside.
6. In the same deep non-stick pan, add the curry leaves and remaining cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
7. Add the onions, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
8. Add the garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
9. Add the prepared paste, tamarind pulp, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 17 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
10. Add the chillies, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
11. Serve immediately.