Ready in a jiffy, with ingredients readily available at home, the Quick Rava Thalipeeth is a common breakfast recipe in the Saraswat Brahman community. It is kind of similar to Koki of Sindhi and Bhakti of Goan cuisine. The Rava Thalipeeth is like a thick pancake made with a quick-fix dough of roasted rava, perked up with coconut, onions et al. Once cooked, the thalipeeth tastes quite exquisite with an awesome texture that is crisp outside and soft inside. While it is quite an easy dish, what differentiates an excellent thalipeeth from an ok-ok one is the way in which it has been shaped. You need to deftly flatten it on the tava with wet hands. It is no rocket science, but requires a little bit of practice to master, so do not worry if your first few thalipeeth end up in odd shapes or of varying thickness. You will soon master it, and then it is nothing but applause waiting for you at the dining table!Enjoy Quick Rava Thalipeeth with Red Chilli Thecha, Green Chilli Thecha and a dollop of Safed Makhan You can also have it with Green Chutney or tomato ketchup.
|Semolina||1 Cup (16 tbs) (rava / sooji)|
|Sliced onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green chilli||1 (cut lengthwise)|
|Tumeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Oil||5 Teaspoon (For greasing and cooking)|
|Green chutney||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for serving)|
|Tomato ketchup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add approx. ¼ cup of water so the mixture binds well.
2. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions.
3. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with ½ tsp of oil.
4. Take a portion of the mixture and flatten it using your palms and place it on the greased non-stick tava (griddle).
5. Wet your hands with little water, flatten the mixture and spread it using your fingers to make a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle.
6. Again wet your fingers and dab it very well.
7. Cook it on a slow flame using ½ tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
8. Repeat steps 3 to 7 to make 4 more thalieepth.
9.Serve immediately with green chutney or tomato ketchup.