Heres an awesomely tasty fast food from the kitchens of South Africa. An all-time favourite in that region, Bunny Chow or Bunny as it is fondly called is made by hollowing out a loaf of bread and filling it with tongue-tickling curry. Believed to have its roots in the Durban Indian community, Bunny Chow is quite filling and a meal in its own right. It can be relished as a quick meal, or served as the main course of a larger spread.
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Ginger green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (Adrak|
|Red chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (Haldi)|
|Coriander powder||1/4 Teaspoon (Dhania powder)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Asafoetida||1/2 Teaspoon (Hing)|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1/2 Teaspoon (Kasuri methi)|
|Tomato pulp||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Boiled green peas||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiled carrot pieces||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped capsicum||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiled potato cubes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (Dhania)|
|Grated processed cheese||4 Tablespoon (For garnish)|
|Shredded cabbage||4 Tablespoon (For garnish)|
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
3. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, asafoetida, fenugreek leaves and 2 tbsp of water and cook for a few seconds, stirring continuously.
4. Now add the tomato pulp with cup water, cook for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the salt, green peas, carrots, potatoes, capsicum, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Lightly mash it using a potato masher or till it reaches a thick gravy consistency.
8. Switch off the flame, add the garam masala and mix well.
9. Finally add chopped coriander and mix well. Keep aside.
10. Place a burger bun on a clean dry surface and make a square slit on top using a sharp knife and scoop out some of the bread to create a depression to form a cavity.
11. Put th of the prepared gravy into the bread bowls.
12. Garnish it with 1 tbsp cheese and 1 tbsp cabbage evenly over it.
13. Repeat steps 10 to 12 to make 3 more bunny chows.
14. Serve immediately.