A breakfast of Fafda served with this Besan Chutney is every Gujaratis idea of a perfect start to Sunday or any holiday. It may be made at home or bought readymade. Also enjoyed on Holi and other holidays this awesome chutney amazes you with its brilliant flavour and mouth-feel. What makes it unique is that its homely yet theres something special about it. The tempering of ginger and green chillies and the final touch of lemon give the besan chutney a superb taste. Thr Fafda Chutney tends to thicken after a while so add a little water before serving if required.
|Besan||5 Tablespoon (Bengal gram flour)|
|Tumeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Chilli powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped ginger||1/2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Curry leaves||5 (kadi patta)|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Lemon juice||1/2 Teaspoon|
1. Combine the besan, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 1 cups of water in a deep bowl and whisk well. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
4. Add the besan-water mixture and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
5. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
6.Serve immediately with fafda.