The famous Gujarati ras-puri meal is incomplete without fajeto! Fajeto cannot be classified as kadhi, dal or subzi it is a class apart from any other recipe. What else can you expect from a classical preparation of mango juice cooked together with curds, besan and select spices? Despite its unique charm and magical taste, fajeto is surprisingly quite light on the stomach!
|To be mixed together into a smooth curd||mango mixture|
|Fresh mango pulp||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Curd||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ginger||green chilli paste|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried ginger powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Red chillies||3 Small|
1. Combine the cinnamon, cloves and dry ginger powder and pound into a coarse powder using a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta). Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and the pounded spices and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
4. Add the curd-mango mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Serve hot with rotlis and rice.