Potato Chops, a well known stuffed potato patty is loved by the Christian community in India Goan, Mangalorean East Indian. Typically it is stuffed with ground Beef or Chicken but Shrimp is well loved as well. Because Shrimp can be expensive, its not made as often.
|Chopped shrimps||400 Gram|
|Finely chopped onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green chili||1 Tablespoon|
|Rechad masala/Masala||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Semolina||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for shallow frying)|
1. Boil the potatoes in their jackets for 15 – 20 mins till a knife gets right through and allow it to cool.
2. In a saute pan heat some oil and saute the onion followed by the chilli.
3. Add the diced shrimp, salt to taste and the reached masala and mix.
4. Add the mushrooms, cover and cook for 5 mins.
5. Make sure the filing has no moisture and add coriander and cool.
6. Peel the skin of the potatoes, cut in chunks and mash.
7. Make sure there are no lumps.
8. Divide into golf ball shapes.
9. Take each ball of potato, make into a cup shape and add 1 – 2 tsps of the filling and enclose with the potato.
10. Mix the breadcrumbs with the semolina and beat the egg.
11. Dip each patty in the egg with one hand and dredge in the breadcrumbs with the other hand.
12. Once all the potato chops are breaded, chill for 15 – 20 mins.
13. Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the potato chops on both sides.
14. Enjoy with some ketchup.