Welcome Friends! Today in the kitchen we are going to make tonic water, and I know that as soon as I said tonic water there's probably already people writing comments down below about how dangerous this is. You know what they're probably right. It is a fairly dangerous, it is fraught with difficulties. One of the reasons that this could be construed as a very dangerous thing to make is that the main ingredient is cinchona bark. Cinchona bark contains quinine, and too much quinine for certain people will cause problems.
|Cinchona bark||4 Gram|
|Gentian root||4 Gram|
|Citric acid||18 Gram|
|Coarse salt||5 Milliliter|
|Star anise||2 Small (optional)|
|Fresh lemon zest||27 Gram|
|Fresh orange zest||27 Gram|
|Fresh lime zest||12 Gram|
|Fresh lemongrass||15 Gram|
1. Add all the ingredients (except the sugar) in a pan and bring just to a boil.
2. Partially cover and let it simmer 8-10 minutes.
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and then pass through a fine coffee filter.
4. Put this liquid back into the pot with the sugar, and heat to just below a boil.
5. Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
6. Chill and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
7. If you will be storing for more than a week, add 30 mL of vodka. Mix 1 part Tonic syrup, with 5-6 parts carbonated water.