This year Im having a bunch of people over for the Canadian Fall weekend potluck. Ive requested my friends to think fall when planning the menu. Since Im hosting, Im preparing the bird that I affectionately call the beast and for dessert, I thought of making an all time favourite Candy Apples. For its contrast against the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate, I chose the Granny Smith and I bought snacking apples instead of the regular sized apples.
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Granny smith apples||8 Small|
|Soft caramel candies||500 Gram (1 lb)|
|Sprinkles||2 Tablespoon (and candies)|
|Crushed walnuts||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Prepare the apples by boiling water, adding vinegar and quickly dipping the apples in to remove any wax.
2. Dry thoroughly and refrigerate for best results.
3. Once cool, remove the stems and pierce each apple through the middle with a bamboo stick.
4. Prepare the caramel by melting the candies & milk in a microwave for 1 minute, stir and then microwave again for another minute till smooth.
5. Working quickly, dip the apple in the caramel and dredge in the crushed walnuts.
6. Place on a silicone mat to prevent sticking.
7. You can also add sprinkles or candies as well.
8. Put it back in the fridge for an hour for the caramel to set.
9. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and drizzle on top of the candy apple as desired.
10. Add more nuts or candies.
11. Refrigerate again .
12. Serve and enjoy!