Fried Chana Dal is a common, time-tested namkeen that nobody tires of! The crispiness of the deep-fried chana dal together with the chatpata seasoning makes it a great success with young and old.
|Chana dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (split bengal gram)|
|Oil||1/2 Liter (For deep frying)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Kashmiri red chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black salt||1/2 Teaspoon (sanchal)|
1. Soak the chana dal in enough hot water in a deep bowl for 3 hours.
2. Drain well using a strainer.
3. Place them on a big muslin cloth and pat it with another muslin cloth over it allow them to dry for at least 15 minutes or till there is no water and they are dry.
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip the strainer in it and put half the chana dal in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp. This would take approx. 7 to 8 minutes.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper.
6. Dap another tissue on it to remove the excess oil.
7. Sprinkle half of the prepared spice mixture evenly over it and toss well.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 6 to deep-fry the chana dal in 1 more batch.
9. Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.