If you're looking to make some new treats that aren't too tricky on Halloween, these spider and mummy cookies will make your spooky party even more fun. Professional baker and author Liv Hansen for the Betty Crocker Kitchens shows how to bake and decorate these yummy cookies, which, come to think of it, would be pretty great any time you're in the mood to munch spiders or mummies.
|For the mummy cookies|
|Sugar cookie mix||15 Ounce (1 pouch Betty Crocker)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) , softened|
|Vanilla frosting||1 Pound (1 container Betty Crocker)|
|Jelly beans||12 Small , cut in half|
|Decorating gels||17/25 Ounce (1 tube black color)|
|For spider cookies|
|Peanut butter cookie mix||15 Ounce (1 pouch Betty Crocker)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Caramel chocolate||36 Medium (chewy milk chocolates)|
|Licorice string||50 Medium (black or red)|
|Chocolate baking bits||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (miniature candy coated)|
|Decorating gels||17/25 Ounce (1 tube)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For The Mummy Cookies
2. In a bowl, add cookie mix, cocoa, butter and egg. Mix well to form soft dough.
3. Flour a flat surface and roll the dough in to a inch thick sheet. Using gingerbread man cookie cutter cut out the cookies.
4. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet around 1 inch apart. Bake for around 9 minutes or till the cookies are done or dry on top. Cool for few minutes and transfer on to cooling racks to cool completely.
5. Fill a freezing bag with the vanilla frosting. Partially seal it and make an th inch hole at one corner. Gently squeeze the frosting over the mummy cookies making patterns like bandage. Place 2 jelly beans for eyes and make the pupils with the black decorating gel.
For The Spider Cookies
6. In a medium bowl add cookie mix, oil, water, egg and mix to form dough.
7. Roll the dough into 36 balls of 1 inch and place them on ungreased cookie sheet around 2 inch apart.
8. Bake for around 10 minutes or till they turn light golden brown. Immediately place a caramel chocolate on each cookie in the center. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
9. Transfer onto cooling racks. Cut licorice into 8 2 inch pieces for every spider cookie. Stick the legs into the chewy caramel chocolate in the center. Place the baking bits for eyes and decorating gels for pupils.
10. In a serving plate, serve the cookies for treat on Halloween.
Calories 614Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.3%
Saturated Fat 18 g90%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 231 mg9.63%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 52 g
Protein 6 g12%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 15350Calories from Fat 7925
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 850 g1307.5%
Saturated Fat 450 g2250%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5775 mg240.75%
Total Carbohydrates 1725 g575%
Dietary Fiber 25 g100%
Sugars 1300 g
Protein 150 g300%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet