A delicious Swedish cookie, topped with pearl sugar or chopped almonds, baked in a length and cut into slices while still hot - a perfect accompaniment for a cup of tea or coffee, any time of day!
|Plain flour||350 Gram|
|Caster sugar||210 Gram|
|Cocoa powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , separated|
1. Pre-heating your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. While it's heating up, add the butter and the sugar to a large bowl and cream together.
3. Add the cocoa powder, the vanilla sugar, the water, and the egg yolk to the creamed butter and sugar and mix together well.
4. Mix in the baking powder and plain flour and mix well to form a dough. You may find it easiest to use a food processor for this part, but if you'd rather do it manually, simply mix as much as you can and then knead it gently with your hands to push the dough together. You will find the dough is quite crumbly - this is nothing to worry about.
5. Divide the dough into ~4-6 pieces. You will find that rolling them is difficult so squeeze them out to lengths, about the same length as a baking sheet. 6. Lightly rub the baking sheet with a little oil or butter and carefully place the strips of dough onto it. Press the dough down slightly on top - it should be about 1cm high and about 3cm wide. Brush the top of the strips with the egg-white and sprinkle on pearl sugar or chopped, flaked almonds and place into the oven.
7. Bake for ~12 minutes - a bit less, or more, may be required, depending on your oven's efficiency. Around the 8 minute mark they should be starting to spread a little width-ways, and cracking slightly on top.
8. After they've baked, remove from the oven, and while still hot and soft from the oven, cut into slices, at a diagonal angle, about 2cm wide. Allow to cool on the tray for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
9. Serve the chocolate slices in a serving plate.
10. Store in an air-tight tin when not eating.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 3804Calories from Fat 1564
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 178 g273.8%
Saturated Fat 109 g545%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 496 mg20.67%
Total Carbohydrates 533 g177.7%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92%
Sugars 226 g
Protein 38 g76%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet