This starter is for those who like a little zing. The garlic sauce which coats the deep-fried vegetable balls makes a tantalizing starter or can even be served to make a snack.
|For vegetable balls|
|Grated carrot||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated cauliflower||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped french beans||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt and ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the hot garlic sauce|
|Finely chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped ginger||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped green chili||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped spring onion whites||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped spring onion greens||2 Tablespoon|
|Schezwan sauce||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
For Vegetable Balls:
1. In a broad non-stick pan, heat oil, add carrot, cauliflower and French beans. Stir well and sauté over medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
2. Add salt, pepper powder and corn flour. Turn off the flame and mix well. Transfer the mixture onto a plate and let cool completely. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a round ball.
3. In a skillet, heat oil and deep fry the vegetable balls in batches until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
For Hot Garlic Sauce
4. In a non-stick pan, heat oil, and sauté garlic, ginger and green chili over high flame for a few seconds.
5. Add spring onion whites and sauté for a few seconds.
6. Add spring onion greens, Schezwan sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, corn flour, salt and water. Mix well. Cook over medium flame for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Top vegetable balls with garlic sauce and serve immediately.