Taiwanese Bubble Tea is a flavorful and delicious drink that's very popular in Asia and North America. Using premium ingredients, I'm going to show you how you can make your own at home for a fraction of the price you pay at the stands. The taste difference is amazing and you're going to slap yourself when you realize how easy this is to make.
This is a great recipe from Andrew Chau and Bin Chen, aka The Boba Guys.
|Black tapioca pearls||1 Cup (16 tbs) (boba)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (To boil the black tapioca pearls)|
|For the syrup|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|To prepare the tea|
|Boiled water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Loose leaf jasmine tea||2 Tablespoon|
|Organic half and half cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use as needed)|
1. Into a pot of boiling water add a cup of tapioca pearls and let them cook. This may take between 20 to 45 minutes to cook depending on the type of brand of tapioca pearls used.
2. Once the pearls turn plump and chewy, strain them and set aside in a mixing bowl.
3. In another pot, heating on the stove, take 1/2 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar, along with a cup of water. Stir on a medium high heat until all the sugar dissolves. Set the prepared syrup aside.
4. To the tapioca pearls, add 4 tablespoons of good quality honey. And to that mixture, add 1/2 cup of the prepared syrup. Stir and let it steep for at least 30 minutes (even better if you let it sit for a few hours to extract its flavor well).
To prepare the tea:
5. Into a French press, take 4 cups of boiled water from a kettle that was left on the stand for about a minute (this is to ensure the right temperature of the water). Add into this 2 tablespoons of loose leaf jasmine tea and let it steep for a 4 to 8 minutes.
To put the drink together:
6. Once the tea is done, pour it into a big pitcher, and to this add a cup of organic half and half cream.
7. Then add the remaining half cup of the prepared syrup and mix everything together well.
8. Take a cocktail shaker, fill it full of ice, pour the tea in and shake it for at least 30 seconds.
9. Into a serving glass add the syrup soaked black tapioca pearls, and pour in the ice cold tea.
10. Serve the drink chilled.
Calories 900Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 78 mg3.25%
Total Carbohydrates 197 g65.7%
Dietary Fiber %
Sugars 127 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1800Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 156 mg6.5%
Total Carbohydrates 394 g131.4%
Dietary Fiber 0 0%
Sugars 254 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet