If youre like Sean, you hate doing dishes. So why not make the whole meal in one pan? We know youre lazy, youre a dude, Dude. Chicken and rice. One pan. Lets do this.
|Skinless, boneless chicken breasts||1 Pound , cut into bite sized pieces|
|Onion||1/2 Medium , diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm) , minced|
|Red pepper flakes||1/2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|White rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1/2 , juiced|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is heated, toss in the onion and sweat for 4-5 minutes until it becomes translucent (kinda clear-ish). Make sure you don’t brown the onion, just get it a little sweaty.
3. Then toss in the garlic for about 30 seconds.
4. Next goes the chicken. Add a little more olive oil at this point if you need to.
5. You’re going to par-cook (partially cook) the chicken, since it’ll finish cooking with the rice. Otherwise, it would be rubbery-gross and not Dude like.
6. Once the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, spread it and the onions & garlic away from the center of the pan and toss in the rice.
7. Stir the rice around for a minute or two just so it toasts a little bit. Then add the chicken stock and red pepper flakes (if you want, it’s not THAT spicy, c’mon). Crank up the heat to high, give it all a stir and allow coming to a boil.
8. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and cover. WALK AWAY. Don’t check the pan for 20 minutes. SERIOUSLY. Walk away.
9. After you’ve checked your email, posted on Facebook and 20 minutes have gone by, carefully lift the lid and check on your Dude Food. THERE WILL BE STEAM! If the liquid has been absorbed then you’re almost done. If not, give it a few more minutes covered.
10. Once ready, pour (squeeze) the lemon juice and toss in the cilantro. If you’re feeling decadent, add a couple pats of butter and cover so it melts.
11. After a quick minute, gently fluff the chicken and rice with a fork. And you’re done.
12. Serve it on a plate, obviously. And maybe wash it down with a good IPA. Okay, so a proper pairing would be a crisp Pinot Grigio or Savignon Blanc, but how dudely is that?
Calories 436Calories from Fat 123
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 217 mg9.04%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 33 g66%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1744Calories from Fat 492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 868 mg36.16%
Total Carbohydrates 176 g58.8%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 132 g264%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet