Johanna M. Cook make a Lemon Parsley Roasted Chicken a Roasted Fennel Orange Salad.
|For the chicken|
|Whole roasting chicken||2 1/2 Pound (organic)|
|Unsalted butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , thawed (1 stick)|
|Italian parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs) , chopped finely|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) , minced|
|Lemon||1 , sliced horizontally|
|Clementines||3 , cut into wedges|
|Salt||2 1/2 Tablespoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon , freshly ground|
|For the salad|
|Arugula leaves||1 Pound|
|Fennel bulb||1 , sliced|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon , divided|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Carrot||1 Large , peeled, shaved|
|Raw almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (or 1/2 orange|
For The Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the sliced fennel into a baking dish. Pour olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
3. Peel the orange by cutting off the ends and using a sharp paring knife cut off the skin along with the white part. Cut into the segments.
4. In a large bowl, add the arugula leaves. Put in the orange segments, shaved carrots and raw almonds. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil, squeeze ½ an orange for the juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Put in the cooked fennel and toss them well. Cover and put in the fridge till served.
For The Chicken
1. In a bowl add the butter, garlic, parsley and mix them well till combined. Season with 1 pinch of salt.
2. Take the salt in a separate bowl
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Separate the skin with the fingers to create the pocket without breaking the skin. Season the chicken generously with the salt.
5. Take the garlic parsley butter and rub it into the skin and the cavity of the chicken generously. Slather the chicken with the mixture.
6. Stuff the skin pocket with lemon slices. Stuff the remaining lemon and oranges into the cavity of the chicken. Making a hole in the skin near the leg and put the other drumstick into it to secure the cavity.
7. Place it in a baking pan breast side up. Put any remaining lemon and orange slices on the chicken.
8. Bake it in the preheated oven, uncovered for around 1 hour or till the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving it to serve.
In a serving plate, serve the chicken with the arugula salad on the side.
Calories 524Calories from Fat 357
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.5%
Saturated Fat 14 g70%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1997 mg83.21%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 28 g56%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4192Calories from Fat 2856
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 320 g492%
Saturated Fat 112 g560%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 15976 mg665.68%
Total Carbohydrates 120 g40%
Dietary Fiber 32 g128%
Sugars 48 g
Protein 224 g448%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet