This weekend was Mother's Day so in honor of my wife I made her favorite, Chicken and Waffles. Not just ordinary waffles, brown sugar and bacon waffles with crispy fried chicken.
|Whole chicken||1 , cut into large pieces|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried herbs||1 Teaspoon , ground|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (seasoned with salt and pepper to taste)|
|Peanut oil||1 Liter (For deep frying)|
|For candied bacon|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (or more as required)|
|For waffle batter|
|Canola oil||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Vanilla extarct||2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a large bowl, put the chicken pieces. Add salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder, dried herbs and butter milk. Mix them well so that chicken is fully covered by the buttermilk and spices. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Take a baking rack. Place the bacon strips over it in a single layer. Sprinkle brown sugar generously over it.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool on the cutting board before chopping them into small pieces. Set aside.
5. Remove the chicken from the fridge. Dredge it in seasoned flour and let it rest on a rack for 15 minutes.
6. WAFFLE BATTER: In a bowl put oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well till combined.
7. In another bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Mix them well.
8. Add the flour mixture into the oil-buttermilk mixture and mix well till everything is combined to form a smooth batter. Add the candied bacon pieces and mix well. Set aside.
9. CHICKEN: In a deep pan, heat peanut oil to around 350 degrees F. Put the flour dredged chicken pieces into the oil carefully and fry for around 25 minutes or till they are fully done. Transfer onto paper towel to drain off excess oil.
10. WAFFLES: In a waffle maker, pour the batter, cover and cook for around 4 minutes or till the waffle is crisp.
11. In a serving plate, serve the waffle hot with the fried chicken and garnished with syrup if desired.
Calories 1068Calories from Fat 516
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.2%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 821 mg34.21%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 43 g86%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 8544Calories from Fat 4128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 464 g713.6%
Saturated Fat 88 g440%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 6568 mg273.68%
Total Carbohydrates 720 g240%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 152 g
Protein 344 g688%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet