|Roasting chicken||5 1/2 Pound , cut up|
|Onion||1 Large , peeled and quartered|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening/2/3 cup lard||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ice water||6 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||1 Pound , pared and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (small size)|
|Frozen pearl onions||1/2 Pound (1/2 of a 1 pound package)|
|Celery stalks||2 Large , sliced on diagonal into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Milk||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Egg yolk||1 Large , beaten|
1. Preheat oven to 400E.
2. In 6- or 8-quart kettle, place chicken (freeze giblets for soup stock).
3. Bring to boil adding quartered onion, celery tops, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, the peppercorns, bay leaf and 2 cups water over high heat.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour until chicken is tender.
To make Pastry:
5. In medium bowl, stir 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt together.
6. Using pastry blender or two knives in a short cutting motion, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
7. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over all of pastry mixture, tossing lightly with fork after each addition and pushing dampened portion to side of bowl.
8. Sprinkle only dry portion remaining such that pastry is just moist enough to hold together and not sticky.
9. Shape into a ball, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the chicken:
10. Remove chicken from kettle to bowl and cool until easy to handle.
11. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken and cut chicken meat into 1-inch pieces, to make 4 to 5 cups.
To make the filling :
12. Into a large saucepan strain the chicken stock and bring to boiling.
13. Add carrot, pearl onions and celery and cook, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
14. In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure milk and whisk in flour, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper until smooth.
15. Stir into vegetable-stock mixture, bring to boiling, stirring constantly, reduce heat and boil for 1 minute.
16. To the saucepan add cut-up chicken, mixing well and divide the mixture among six 1 1/3-cup casseroles or individual baking dishes.
17. Remove pastry from refrigerator, flour a rolling surface lightly and cut pastry into six equal pieces.
18. Form each piece into a ball, flatten and evenly roll each piece to a circle the same diameter as the top of a casserole.
19. Cut a cross (about 1 1/2 inches crosswise and lengthwise) in center of each pastry circle.
20. With pastry brush dipped in water, lightly moisten edges of casseroles and place pastry circles on top of each casserole.
21. With tip of knife, lift up and turn back the four points in center of pastry, exposing the pie filling.
22. With dinner fork, firmly press the edge of pastry to casseroles.
23. On a large baking tray or a rimmed cookie sheet place the casseroles.
24. Bake for 30 minutes until filling is bubbly and remove from oven.
25. Brush crusts with egg-yolk mixture, return to oven and bake for 5 minutes longer until pastry is golden-brown.
26. Serve the potpies with garnish and side as desired.
Calories 1068Calories from Fat 632
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g107.7%
Saturated Fat 19 g95%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 657 mg27.38%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 60 g120%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 8544Calories from Fat 5056
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 560 g861.6%
Saturated Fat 152 g760%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5256 mg219.04%
Total Carbohydrates 368 g122.4%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 56 g
Protein 480 g960%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet