|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon (4 Tablespoon Softened)|
|Endives||6 Large , firm, with tightly closed unblemished leaves|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Strained lemon juice||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken breast||8 Ounce , skinned and boned (1 Piece)|
|Flour||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1/8 Teaspoon (Preferably Freshly Grated)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Imported)|
|Ham slice||6 , each 1/8 inch thick and about 6 inches wide and 8 inches long|
1) Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2) Using a pastry brush, apply 2 tablespoons of the softened butter evenly over the bottom and sides of a baking-serving dish. It should be large enough to hold the endives in one layer.
3) Using as knife trim off the bases of the endives. Do not to cut so deep that the leaves separate. Wash the endives and pat dry with paper towels
4) Keep the endives side by side in the buttered dish and with a pastry brush spread them with the remaining 2 tablespoons of softened butter.
5) Scatter 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper, and pour the lemon juice over them.
6) With a sheet of wax paper cut to fit, cover the endives.
7) Bake in the middle of the oven for about 90 minutes or until the bases of the endives are tender and a skewer comes out clean when pierced.
8) Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spatula carefully transfer the endives to a plate. Drain off any liquid remaining in the dish and keep the dish aside.
9) Increase the oven temperature to 375°.
10) Take a small flameproof baking pan, and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over moderate heat. Let the froth to subside.
11) Put in the chicken breast and turn it about with a spoon until it coats thoroughly.
12) Take the pan from the heat. Scatter1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper over chicken. Cover it with wax paper cut to fit inside the pan.
13) Keep the tray in the middle of the oven and poach for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the flesh feels firm to the touch.
14) Remove and keep the chicken on a plate. Cut it into 1/4-inch dice. Keep the diced chicken in a small bowl and set aside.
15) Over moderate heat, keep a heavy 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Mix in the flour thoroughly.
16) Add in the chicken stock and, stirring continually with a wire whisk, cook over high heat until the sauce thickens heavily and comes to a boil.
17) Lower the heat to the lowest settings and simmer for about 5 minutes to remove any taste of raw flour. Add in the cream, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of white pepper. Stir well.
18) Check seasoning.
19) Add about 1/4 cup of the sauce over the reserved chicken dice and mix well.
20) Add in the beaten the egg yolk into the remaining sauce and when it is completely absorbed stir in the cheese.
21) Turn up the oven heat to 400°.
22) Using a knife, cut each endive in half lengthwise, cutting to within about 1 inch of the base.
23) Split open the endives in butterfly fashion and flatten one half gently with the side of a cleaver or large knife.
25) Split the the chicken mixture into 6 equal portions.
26) Using a spoon, apply one portion of the chicken mixture on the flattened sides of each endive.
27) Next then fold the other half of the endive over the filling and wrap each stuffed endive securely in a slice of ham.
28) Keep the wrapped endives side by side (seamed side down) in the baking-serving dish. Pour the reserved sauce evenly over the top.
29) Keep the dish in the middle of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce begins to bubble.
30) Keep the baking dish under a preheated broiler (about 3 inches from the heat) for 1 minute or so to brown the sauce further.
31) Serve hot, straight from the baking dish.
Calories 582Calories from Fat 379
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.2%
Saturated Fat 25 g125%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 486 mg20.25%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 29 g58%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3492Calories from Fat 2274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 258 g397.2%
Saturated Fat 150 g750%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2916 mg121.5%
Total Carbohydrates 150 g49.8%
Dietary Fiber 96 g384%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 174 g348%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet