The stuffing in this roast chicken is light fluffy, absolutely delicious.
Quinoa is available from the health food aisle of most major supermarkets. It is a gluten free substitute for rice or breadcrumbs, grain foods more traditionally used to make stuffing, and is also higher in fibre and protein.
|Olive oil||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Quinoa||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped preserved lemon||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
1. Heat olive oil in a pan, saute onions and garlic in the oil for a couple of minutes.
2. Throw in quinoa and water and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and mix in chopped preserved lemon, parsley, lemon juice and cracked black pepper. Stir everything together to make the stuffing.
4. Put the stuffing in the chicken cavity.
5. Secure the chicken by holding skin from both sides and securing it with a toothpick. Place the chicken on a baking tray and brush it with olive oil.
6. Arrange some lemon slices over the chicken and season it with cracked black pepper.
7. Put the chicken at 200 C for 20 minutes in the oven and then reduce the temperature to 180 C, cook for another hour. Baste a couple of times in between.
8. Cover the chicken with an aluminium foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Carve and serve with roasted vegetables.