Searching for some of the best NYC ceviche around? Look no further than the East Village's Yerba Buena restaurant. Chef Mario Hernandez shows Shea just what makes their super fresh ceviche so special!
|Mackerel||3 Cup (48 tbs) , chop (For the 1st ceviche and 2nd ceviche)|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Olive oil||5 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche, 2nd ceviche and Banana crisps)|
|Malagueta vinegar||2 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Cilantro||4 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche and 2nd ceviche)|
|Red onions||1 Cup (16 tbs) , slice (For the 1st ceviche and 2nd ceviche)|
|Horseradish||1 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Rocotos||1 Tablespoon , pureed (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Hawaiian sea salt||1 Pinch (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Cancha corn||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Oil||5 Tablespoon (For the 1st ceviche)|
|Plantain||1 Large , slice (For the plantain crisps)|
|Salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon (For the plantain crisps and 2nd ceviche)|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon (For the plantain crisps)|
|Pepper||1/4 Teaspoon (For the plantain crisps)|
|Lime||1 Small , juiced (For the 2nd ceviche)|
|Orange||1 Small , juiced (For the 2nd ceviche)|
|Meyer lemon||1 Small , juiced (For the 2nd ceviche)|
|Sriracha sauce||1 1/2 Teaspoon (For the 2nd ceviche)|
|Serrano pepper||1 Small , dice (For the 2nd ceviche)|
|Watercress||1 Small (For garnishing 1st ceviche)|
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
For the authentic ceviche:
2.In a bowl, mix the mackeral, kosher salt, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Next, add malagueta vinegar, cilantro, red onions, horseradish, rocoto pepper puree and hawaiian sea salt and mix.
4. Fry the cancha corn in a pan of oil.
5. Add a dash of salt to the cancha corn and mix.
6. In a bowl, add the ceviche, top with fried cancha corn, add watercress for garnish and serve.
For the 2nd ceviche:
7.For making the plantain crisps, in a bowl, mix the sliced plantain, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, cumin, 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and mix together.
8. Line the chips on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Pop into the oven for 15-18 minutes.
10. For the marinade: In a bowl, mix the juice of one lime, 1 small orange and 1 meyer lemon.
11. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil and sriracha sauce and mix.
12. Remove the bone through the center of the mackerel by cutting it out.
13. Cut into bite size pieces.
14. Add 1/2 cup red onion, serrano pepper, 2 tablespoons cilantro and the marinade and mix well.
15. Plate the ceviche, add a portion of banana crisps and serve.
Calories 1645Calories from Fat 1134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 127 g195.4%
Saturated Fat 22 g110%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2296 mg95.67%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 27 g
Protein 71 g142%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3290Calories from Fat 2268
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 254 g390.8%
Saturated Fat 44 g220%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4592 mg191.34%
Total Carbohydrates 116 g38.6%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 54 g
Protein 142 g284%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet