This weekend I made Caribbean style ribs with a mango rum BBQ sauce. It had a nice kick to it. I paired it with a smoked cocktail.
|Kosher salt||2 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , divided (2 tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||3 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground all spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|For mango||bbq sauce|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped finely|
|Bbq sauce||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (flavor of choice)|
|Mango juice||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (mango nectar juice)|
|Rum||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (good quality)|
|Ice cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs) , smoked|
|Tomato juice||4 Ounce|
|Lemon||1/2 , smoked, juiced|
|Hot sauce||1 Dash (as desired)|
|Worcestershire sauce||3 Dash|
|Agave tequila||2 Ounce|
|Jalapeno||1 , smoked|
1. SPICE MIX: In a bowl add kosher salt, brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, all spice, cumin, red pepper and black pepper. Mix well.
2. Preheat the barbecue grill using the snake charcoal method (arrange the charcoal around the sides and put the burning charcoal at one end). Place a dripping pan on it and move it to lower end of the grill.
3. On the top rack of the grill smoke lemon, jalapeno and ice cubes in it and bring the temperature to 225- 250 degrees F.
4. Rub the ribs with the spice mix generously reserving around 2 tablespoons of the mix for the sauce.
5. Place the ribs on the higher rack and cook for around 120 minutes.
6. SAUCE: Meanwhile in a pan heat oil on medium. Add the onions and sauté for few minutes or till translucent.
7. Pour the BBQ sauce, mango nectar, honey and rum. Mix well and cook till it thickens to a sauce consistency. Set aside.
8. After 2 hours transfer the ribs onto foil. Spread brown sugar and honey generously all over it. Wrap it well and place it back on the grill for 60 more minutes.
9. Once 60 minutes are done, remove the foil and spread the Mango- BBQ sauce over one rib rack generously and continue to cook both the ribs for another hour.
10. COCKTAIL: In a shaker add smoked ice cubes, tomato juice, smoked lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and agave tequila. Shake it well.
11. After 60 minutes remove the ribs from the grill and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
12. In a serving plate, serve the ribs with salad or Cole slaw and smoked cocktail for adults. For kids serve the ribs without the Mango-BBQ sauce and any beverage of choice.
SMOKED ICE: Place some ice in a bowl and put it on the smoker for around 40 minutes. Remove it and cool completely. Pour the cooled water into ice trays and re-freeze for 8 hours.
Calories 492Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 6 g30%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2132 mg88.83%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 40 g
Protein 30 g60%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2952Calories from Fat 912
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g157.2%
Saturated Fat 36 g180%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 12792 mg532.98%
Total Carbohydrates 294 g97.8%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 240 g
Protein 180 g360%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet