Caribbean Salt Fish Cakes Breadfruit Boats is superb. Breadfuit is stunning. It is versatile too. You can bake, boil, fry and steam, but here we will be boiling them. Caribbean Salt Fish Cakes Breadfruit Boats is a great combination of fish cake and breadfruit.
|For caribbean salt fish cakes||ingredients|
|Salt cod/Smoked fish||125 Gram , cooked, drained and flaked|
|Onion||1 Large , finely chopped|
|Scotch bonnet pepper||1 , finely chopped|
|Finely chopped shallots/Finely chopped spring onion||1 Teaspoon|
|Marjoram leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon (2 Heaped Teaspoon)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Fat Frying)|
|For breadfruit boats|
|Fresh breadfruit||1 (Ripe)|
|Shallots||1 , finely chopped|
|Chopped marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery stick||1 , diced|
|Green pepper||1 , deseeded and diced|
|Grated cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (2 Handfuls)|
DIRECTION - Caribbean Salt Fish Cakes
1. Mix the flaked salt fish with the onion, scotch bonnet pepper, shallots, herbs, flour and baking powder.
2. Pour in the milk and water and stir until you have a slack dough-like mixture, loose enough to just fall off the spoon. Add a little more water if necessary.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan for deep-frying. It should be hot enough that a cube of bread sizzles when dropped in. Dip the head of a metal tablespoon into the oil then use to scoop up spoonfuls of the salt fish mixture (the oil will stop the mixture sticking to the spoon). Drop into the hot oil and fry in batches until golden and crisp.
4. Carefully remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain off excess oil on kitchen paper. Serve while still hot and crisp.
DIRECTION - Breadfruit boats
1. Cut the breadfruit into wedges and boil in salted water for until tender about 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
3. Cut the breadfruit flesh away from the skin, taking care not to damage the skins. Cut out and discard the cores. Mash the flesh, leaving some texture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the butter in a pan and gently fry the shallot, herbs, celery and pepper until softened. Remove from the heat and stir into the mashed breadfruit.
5. Lay the breadfruit skins on a lightly greased baking tray. Pack the mashed breadfruit back on to the skins, doming it into a wedge shape. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the breadfruit is warmed through and the cheese has melted. Serve hot.