This is my video entry into the TasteMade Mardi Gras Collaboration. In this video, I will show you how to make the famous King Cake from scratch. There is a lot of history in this cake, as well as Mardi Gras it's self, and for anyone interested, you can look up tons of information online as to how it all got started, and what it has basically became today. To me, it is the biggest "Free" party on earth, and lots of fun! I have memories that will last a life time of all the Mardi Gras parades I have been to, from the French Quarter in downtown New Orleans, to Mobile, Alabama, and everywhere in between! Please be sure to watch the other videos in this special TasteMade collaboration.
|For the dough|
|Active dry yeast||7 Gram|
|Warm water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|For the filling|
|Philadelphia cream cheese||8 Ounce|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For the glaze|
|Confectioners sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) ((or as needed))|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Colored sugar||3 Tablespoon ((purple, green and yellow))|
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer bowl, combine yeast, warm water, a table spoon of sugar and salt. Mix and allow the yeast to activate.
3. Now add in the egg, shortening and remaining sugar and gradually start adding in the flour. Attach the mixing attachment to the stand mixer to form a dough as shown in the video.
4. Grease a large bowl with some oil and place the dough in it, coat the dough with oil on all sides. Cover and set aside to rise.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the filling by combining cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and mixing using a hand mixer.
6. Punch the dough and knead gently once again. Divide it into two equal halves. This quantity of dough will yield two king cakes.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll out one half of the dough in to a rectangle of 16X20 inches. Using a spatula, spread the prepared cream cheese filling evenly on it.
8. Gently start rolling the dough from one end like a pin wheel.
9. On the prepared cookie sheet, place the roll and make a circle with it by joining the ends as shown in the video. Cover and allow it to rise for an hour.
10. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees and place the cake in it. Allow to bake until golden brown.
11. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by combining confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and water (as needed). Mix using a whisk and add in a squirt of lemon juice.
12. Spoon the prepared glaze on the cake and sprinkle with purple, green and yellow colored sugar for decoration.
13. Slice and serve.
You can use any of your favorite fillings for the king cake.
The ingredients for the dough are enough to yield two king cakes however, the filling ingredients mentioned are just for one cake. Please adjust the quantities as per your requirements.
Calories 662Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 350 mg14.58%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 57 g
Protein 10 g20%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 5296Calories from Fat 1536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 176 g270.4%
Saturated Fat 64 g320%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2800 mg116.64%
Total Carbohydrates 856 g285.6%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 456 g
Protein 80 g160%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet