The Kitchen Witch demonstrates how to make another wonderfully festive holiday dessert! Pear Upside Down Cake with Maple Mascarpone Cream is sure to be a hit at any holiday table - or dessert year round :-)
|For pear topping|
|Pears||1 Pound , peeled and cored (2|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Ounce , cut into 4 pieces|
|All purpose flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 3/4 Teaspoon (1|
|Ground ginger||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Table salt||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Whole milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1/2 Teaspoon (1 1/2)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce , softened|
|Packed light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For maple mascarpone cheese|
|Maple syrup||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mascarpone cheese||8 Ounce|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 350 degree F.
2. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x2-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment and butter the top of the paper.
For Pear Topping:
3. Peel, core, and cut the pears lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
4. Arrange the pear slices on the bottom of the pan in a circle around the edge, overlapping slightly, with the pointed ends towards the center to cover the bottom.
5. In a heavy-duty 2-quart saucepan, stir sugar, lemon juice, and cold water. Brush down the sides of the pan with water to wash away any sugar crystals. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan, for 12-15 minutes or until the mixture starts to color around the edges.
6. Gently swirl the pan once to even out the color and prevent the sugar from burning. Continue to cook for about 30 seconds or until the sugar turns medium amber.
7. Reduce heat to low and stir in the butter until smooth. Pour the mixture evenly over the pears in the pan.
8. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine.
9. In a small bowl, mix milk and vanilla.
10. In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
11. Turn the mixer to medium and slowly add the brown sugar. Increase the speed to high and continue to mix for 2-3 minutes or until lightened in texture.
12. Reduce the speed to medium and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides as and when needed.
13. Reduce the speed to low and alternate adding the flour mixture and milk mixture in five additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined after each addition. Do not over mix.
14. Spoon the batter in large dollops over the pears and smooth it into an even layer.
15. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
16. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan.
17. Turn a cake plate upside down on top of the cake pan and carefully invert the pan onto the plate.
For Maple Mascarpone Cheese:
18. In a large mixing bowl, add whipping cream, mascarpone cheese, and maple syrup. Beat until soft peaks form.
19. Cut cake into slices and serve with a dollop of maple mascarpone cheese on top.
Calories 867Calories from Fat 465
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80%
Saturated Fat 31 g155%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 207 mg8.63%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 68 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6936Calories from Fat 3720
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 416 g640%
Saturated Fat 248 g1240%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1656 mg69.04%
Total Carbohydrates 728 g242.4%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 544 g
Protein 56 g112%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet