The previous chocolate mousse cake episode was made using raw eggs. For those of you with egg safety concerns, here's a food safe version of chocolate mousse that heats the egg components to 150-165 degrees F before using. The cooking also helps make a finer texture in your final mousse. I altered the recipe slightly after filming to make sure your meringue stays soft and pliable longer.
|Bittersweet chocolate chips||12 Ounce|
|Butter||2 Ounce , softened|
|Eggs||4 Medium , seperated|
|Heavy cream||16 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||5 Ounce (to taste)|
|Chocolate cake||1/2 Medium , sliced into half horizontalli (9 inch cake)|
|For the ganache|
|Semi sweet chocolate chips||8 Ounce|
|Heavy cream||4 Ounce|
1. Use an 8 inch cake ring as cutter and cut the chocolate cake to fit the bottom of the ring. Set aside.
2. Cut a cardboard of 8 inch cake ring size to fit into the bottom. Set aside.
3. In a double boiler add egg yolks and 1 ounce granulated sugar. Warm it to 150- 165 degrees F while whisking continuously. Set aside.
4. In an electric beater whip the heavy cream to soft to medium peaks. Set aside.
5. In the double boiler warm the egg whites with 4 ounces of granulated sugar to 150- 165 degrees F. Transfer it into the electric mixer and whip it to form soft to medium peaks. Set aside.
6. In the double boiler melt chocolate. Remove from the boiler and add the butter. Before it melts add the warmed egg yolks. Mix well till well combined and chocolate thickens a little. If it is still hot, allow it to cool a little to room temperature, be careful the chocolate should not harden.
7. Scoop some amount of whipped cream and fold it into the chocolate egg yolk mixture. Fold in the whipped cream in 2 or 3 batches and repeat the same with the egg white mixture. It should form an even chocolate mixture.
8. Place the chocolate cake into the prepared cake ring with cardboard. Pour the chocolate mousse over it and spread evenly to form a smooth surface. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (ideal overnight).
9. GANACHE: In a pot bring heavy cream and butter to boil. Pour it into the bowl with chocolate chips. Stir till chocolate is melted to form a smooth mixture. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally to avoid chocolate from hardening.
10. Remove the cake from the refrigerator. Pour the chocolate ganache on top. Using a spatula smoothen the surface.
11. Return to the refrigerator for another 20 minutes or till the chocolate hardens.
12. Take the cake out of the fridge and remove the cake ring carefully.
13. In a serving plate, slice and serve the cake cold.
Calories 614Calories from Fat 391
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.2%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 194 mg8.08%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber %
Sugars 34 g
Protein 5 g10%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6140Calories from Fat 3910
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 450 g692%
Saturated Fat 240 g1200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1940 mg80.8%
Total Carbohydrates 530 g177%
Dietary Fiber 0 0%
Sugars 340 g
Protein 50 g100%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet