Unlike many irresistible foods which are mostly unhealthy, this healthy Black Forest Cake is a top-rated addiction. If you ask me why my version of the Black Forest cake is healthy, I will ask you to spend a moment analyzing its composition. It does not contain eggs, eliminating the risk of bad cholesterol, unhealthy saturated fats, high calories and salmonella infections. It is made of Whole Wheat Flour which is enriched with healthy flours, most of which are high in fiber content, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals. Standard cake flours are bleached, chemicalized and lack fiber which makes them unhealthy. The flours used in my recipe are devoid of these harmful characteristics. They enable good bowel movement and are easily digestible. The healthy yogurt, with its many medicinal properties, is a boon to the digestive system and the rest of the body , in general. It is used to replace baking soda and baking powder which contain sodium, which is harmful for the stressed as it has an adverse effect on the blood pressure and heart health. Sugarcane juice is a boon for the digestive system and lowers glycemic index making this cake less harmful to the diabetics and stressed, than refined sugar. It is a very healthy substitute for refined white sugar and the alcoholic Kirsch, which is used in the classic Black Forest Cake Recipe. Finally, I used low-fat homemade cream for frosting, which is easily digestible and less fattening than commercial whipped cream.
|Whole wheat flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Oat flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Maize flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Psyllium husk||1 Tablespoon|
|Cocoa powder||4 Tablespoon|
|Unsweetened yogurt||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugarcane juice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cherries||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla essece||1 Teaspoon|
|Homemade cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Slit the cherries longitudinally and soak them in sugar cane juice overnight. This creates a sweet cherry flavored extract.
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients (different flours and cocoa powder) together twice. This is to make them airy.
3. Remove the cherries from the cherry- sugarcane extract and set them aside.
4. Pour the cherry-sugarcane extract in a wide container and beat it for 2 minutes.
5. Add the yogurt and vanilla essence and beat well till a creamy homogenous mixture results.
6. Warm the oil a bit and add it to the yogurt mixture and beat well. The secret to a really fluffy and spongy cake is to beat the batter really well!
7. Finally, add the dry ingredients mix, one tablespoonful at a time. Keep beating till a homogenous mixture results. Beat the mixture till the batter becomes light and fluffy. It will take you around 12 minutes to attain the desired texture. You can use an electric beater for the purpose, but I do it manually, as this activity gives me scope to exercise my hands! By the way, exercising is a good stress buster.
8. Cover the batter and keep it aside for at least 5 hours at room temperature. As we are doing away with baking powder, the batter needs to be allowed to ferment a bit for leavening it.
9. Preheat the oven at 200 deg C for 10 minutes.
10. Pour the cake batter in a round 6-inch cake tin that is lined with aluminum foil.
11. Bake the cake at 200 deg centigrade for 10 minutes, after which you can bake it at 180 deg C for about 30 minutes.
12. Your cake should be done by now. The completely baked cake will have risen to double its height and will have cracks on the top. Most importantly, a tooth pick or fork inserted into the center of a baked cake will emerge clean.
13. Switch off the oven and remove the cake from it immediately. Do not leave the cake in the oven to gradually cool as its surface may harden in the process!
14. Let the cake cool completely before you try to remove it from the tray.
15. After it cools completely, take the cake out of the container and place it inverted on a wide and flat surface. You have to be patient enough to let the cake cool completely before you handle it. Otherwise, there is a risk of it falling apart.
16. Remove the aluminum foil from the top of the cake.
17. Slice the cake horizontally into two layers or as many layers as you want to apply frosting.
For Making the Frosting
18. Beat the homemade cream well till light and fluffy.
19. Add 2 tablespoonfuls of sugarcane juice to the beaten cream and beat further till it mixes well.
20. Add ¼ tsp of vanilla essence to the cream mixture.
21. Add 1 tbsp of corn flour to thicken the mixture. You can add more to attain the desired consistency of the cream.
22. Spread the mixture on the top and bottom sides of each layer of the cake, but not on the topmost layer. Spread the mixture on the sides of the cake.
23. Save some cherries for frosting the top layer and chop the rest of them into small pieces with the help of a chopper and sprinkle them generously on the cream frosting. You can add chocolate shavings on the inside layers of the cake, if you want to.
24. Place the cake layers, one on top of the other.
25. Now, spread the cream on the topmost layer.
26. Sprinkle chocolate shavings on the cake. I used chocolate chips, as chocolate shavings were not available.
27. Arrange the cherries on this layer in desired shape. I used them to border the cake.
28. Chill your black forest cake for about an hour for the frosting to set.
29. Serve chilled for maximum satisfaction.
Calories 280Calories from Fat 133
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 55 mg2.29%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2800Calories from Fat 1330
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 150 g231%
Saturated Fat 30 g150%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 550 mg22.9%
Total Carbohydrates 360 g120%
Dietary Fiber 30 g120%
Sugars 120 g
Protein 40 g80%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet