So, let's get one thing straight - I don't have a Jewish mother or grandmother. As a convert, I lack the fond memory of hating honey cake. Very soon after opening the bakery, I realize that I'm required to not only bake hundreds of pounds of honey cake, but I'm required to listen to how everyone hates it. "It's so dry!" Wow, reminds me of the joke with the punch line, "The food is so bad...and, the portions are so small!"
Sometimes Rosh Hashana falls out on very hot days of the year. One year in particular, after making a gazillion crown challahs, we are up all night making honey cakes. Back then, we have the oven where a rack is shoved in and spins while the product bakes. Opening the oven door, the blast of heat adds to the heat of the bakery and is unbearable. Exhausted and giddy, we jokingly rename the place, "Ye ol' Taste of Hell Bakery". Staying up all night to bake cakes that everyone will say they hate....until they taste mine, is worth the effort.
|Canola oil/Any vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Light honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened dark cocoa powder||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||2 3/4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Regular salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Strong, hot black coffee||1 Cup (16 tbs) , brew|
|Honey||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (for brushing the top) (Optional)|
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree.
2. Remove the insert of a 7-inch tube pan, and spray non-stick oil on it, making sure not to grease the pan.
3. Place insert on parchment paper, outline the circle, cut it out ,and place it at the bottom of the pan.
4. Then, place insert back into the pan, and set it aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda ,and cinnamon. Whisk to bring them together. Set it aside.
6. In another mixing bowl, add oil, white sugar, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Blend to combine.
7. Throw in egg, one at a time, blending continuously. Scrape off sides.
8. Slowly add the dry mixture, and blend it on low speed to combine.
9. Add coffee, and whisk until smooth. Scrape off sides and beat for about 1 minute, just to make sure that all the ingredients are well blended.
10. Pour mixture in pan, and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when gently touched.
11. Remove pan from oven, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
12. Take a thin knife, run around the edge of the pan. Apply pressure on the bottom and pull the cake out.
13. Loosen the base of the cake, spin and gently pull out the insert.
14. Lay it on a wire rack and let it cool.
15. With knife make little slits on cake.
16. With brush apply honey on top.
17. Slice and serve chocolate honey cake.
If you are using a bigger pan then you can bake for about 60 minutes.
Over baking will make your honey cake dry.
Calories 381Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 198 mg8.25%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.7%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 37 g
Protein 5 g10%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6096Calories from Fat 2336
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 272 g419.2%
Saturated Fat 32 g160%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3168 mg132%
Total Carbohydrates 944 g315.2%
Dietary Fiber 48 g192%
Sugars 592 g
Protein 80 g160%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet