|Semi sweet chocolate chip||3 Ounce (Fine Quality Chocolate)|
|Hot brewed coffee||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (NOT Dutch Process)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1/4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (well|
|Semisweet chocolate||1 Pound (for ganache)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for ganache)|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (for ganache)|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon (for ganache)|
|Unsalted butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (for ganache)|
First Step--Make cake layers:
1) Preheat oven to 300°F. and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper as well. (if you trace the shape of the cake pans on wax paper and then cut them out I found this step to be relatively easy)
2) Finely chop chocolate. Pour hot coffee into a bowl and then add the finely chopped chocolate. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
3) Into another large bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4) In another large bowl add eggs and beat with an electric mixer until the eggs have thickened slightly and are lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer, 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, and beat until well-combined.
5) Add sugar mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed just until combined.
6) Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean (about 1hr-1 hr & 10mins).
7) Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely.
**Note: Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
Step 2-Make Frosting:
1) Finely chop chocolate and put aside.
2) In a 1.5 or 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking just until sugar is dissolved.
3) Remove pan from heat and add the chopped chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted into the mixture. 4) Cut the butter into pieces and add to the mixture, whisking until smooth.
5) Transfer this frosting mixture to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on the chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
**Note: this is the most important step, if the frosting is too cold it will tear apart your cake when you try to spread it, and if it is too hot it will be too runny and make a mess of your cake**
6) Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Add garnish to top if desired (i.e. the raspberries I used in the pictures below)
If you plan on saving the cake for later, keep it covered and chilled and it will last about 3 days. However, be sure to bring cake to room temperature before serving...it tastes much better that way :)
Calories 1014Calories from Fat 459
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g81.5%
Saturated Fat 22 g110%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 614 mg25.58%
Total Carbohydrates 147 g49%
Dietary Fiber 15 g60%
Sugars 92 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 10140Calories from Fat 4590
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 530 g815%
Saturated Fat 220 g1100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 6140 mg255.8%
Total Carbohydrates 1470 g490%
Dietary Fiber 150 g600%
Sugars 920 g
Protein 160 g320%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet