|For 3 (9||inch) dark|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1 Cup (16 tbs) , unsifted|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 3/4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) , softened (2 Sticks)|
|Sugar||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||6 Tablespoon , softened (3/4 Stick)|
|Confectioners'sugar||3 1/2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Green creme de menthe||6 Tablespoon|
|For dark||chocolate frosting|
|Semisweet chocolate pieces||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Light cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Confectioners'sugar||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Chocolate coated square mints||6 Ounce (1 Box)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease well and lightly flour three 9-by-l 1/2-inch layer-cake pans.
To Prepare Dark-Chocolate-Cake Layers:
3. In medium bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water, mixing with wire whisk until smooth and let it cool completely.
4. Onto a sheet of waxed paper, sift flour with soda, salt and baking powder.
5. In a large bowl, with portable electric mixer at high speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla scraping bowl occasionally, until light-€”about 5 minutes.
6. At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with cocoa mixture (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour mixture and do not overbeat.
7. Pour batter into pans, dividing evenly and smooth tops.
8. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until surfaces spring back when gently pressed with fingertip and cool in pans for 10 minutes.
9. With spatula carefully loosen sides, remove from pans and cool on racks
To Make Creme-De-Menthe Filling:
10. In a medium bowl, combine 6 tablespoons butter, 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and creme-de-menthe.
11. Using a portable mixer or wooden spoon beat until smooth and fluffy.
12. On cake stand, place layers together, using half of Creme-De-Menthe Filling between each two layers.
To make Dark-Chocolate Frosting:
13. In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, cream and butter; stir over medium heat until smooth and remove from heat.
14. With a wire whisk, blend in confectioners' sugar.
15. Turn into bowl placed over ice and beat until it holds its shape.
16. With metal spatula, frost side of cake and spread rest of frosting over top, swirling decoratively.
17. Cut mints in half, on diagonal and use to decorate cake.
18. Refrigerate cake about 1 hour and then serve.
Calories 895Calories from Fat 355
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.1%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 320 mg13.33%
Total Carbohydrates 125 g41.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 97 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 12530Calories from Fat 4970
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 574 g883.4%
Saturated Fat 336 g1680%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4480 mg186.62%
Total Carbohydrates 1750 g583.8%
Dietary Fiber 56 g224%
Sugars 1358 g
Protein 98 g196%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet