Christmas is just so incomplete without Plum Cake. In fact, the air is so rich with the smell of Plum Cakes baking in ovens all around the city that everybody wants to have a bite. For those of you who do not have eggs but have been yearning for a taste of this fabulously rich, dry fruit packed cake, here is an Eggless Plum Cake, which is absolutely authentic in its taste and sure to steal your hearts. In this traditional treat, the crunch of dry fruits and nuts comes together with the rich taste and aroma of spices, the tanginess of orange juice and the intensely dreamy taste of cocoa and vanilla. Enjoy this cake warm, with a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||2 Tablespoon , roughly chopped|
|Black raisins||2 Tablespoon , roughly chopped|
|Sweet cherries||2 Tablespoon , roughly chopped|
|Tutti frutti||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rum||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soft butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Condensed milk||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cinnamon powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cocoa powder||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla essence||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs) (cashew, walnuts and almonds)|
|Orange rind||2 Teaspoon , grated|
|Orange juice||6 Tablespoon|
|Sugar syrup||To Taste (for brushing)|
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180⁰C.
2. Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and baking soda in a deep bowl and keep aside.
3. Combine the raisins, black raisins, sweet cherries, tutti frutti and rum in a deep bowl, mix well and cover with a lid and keep aside for 24 hours.
4. Combine the butter and condensed milk in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk till smooth.
5. Add the sieved flour mixture gradually and fold gently using a spatula.
6. Add the cinnamon powder, nutmeg, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, soaked dry fruits, mixed nuts, orange rind and mix well.
7. Add the orange juice little by little to adjust the consistency.
8. Transfer the mixture in a greased 200mm. (8") aluminum tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180⁰C (360⁰C) for 35 to40 minutes.
9. Cool slightly, loosen the edges using a knife and demould it by inverting the tin over a board and tap gently to unmould the loaf.
10. Brush the loaf with little sugar syrup and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Cut into thick slices and serve immediately or store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
a) Use orange juice accordingly to adjust the consistency of the batter.
b) You can soak the dry fruits in rum or orange juice for minimum 24 hours.
Calories 675Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 14 g70%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 327 mg13.63%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.7%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 35 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4050Calories from Fat 1764
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 198 g304.8%
Saturated Fat 84 g420%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1962 mg81.78%
Total Carbohydrates 462 g154.2%
Dietary Fiber 30 g120%
Sugars 210 g
Protein 72 g144%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet