There's nothing quite like a messy burger, is there? I love them. And what I enjoy most about veggie burgers is the endless possibility of combinations. They are such a great way to increase your vegetable intake, even with veggies you might not like. This burger is a favorite. It is slightly sweet, earthy and pretty spicy.
|Butternut squash||4 Cup (64 tbs) , peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces (reserve the seeds)|
|Black beans||1 Can (10 oz) , drained and rinsed|
|Uncooked quinoa||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , minced|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium , minced|
|Serrano chile||1 Medium , minced|
|Ancho chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Pistachios||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , finely chopped|
|Sea salt||1 Tablespoon (Other(Full absorption))|
|Panko bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (as needed)|
|Cilantro||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , chopped finely|
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Wash and pat dry the butternut squash seeds.
3. In a baking sheet, place the butternut pieces, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat.
4. Roast the butternut in oven for about 45 minutes or until tender.
5. In a small frying pan over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fry butternut seeds, until they just start to get brown.
6. Using a slotted spoon remove the seeds and drain on paper towel lined colander and sprinkle sea salt.
7. In a saucepan with ½ cup of boiling water, put quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until quinoa is tender, remove from heat.
8. In a small pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and lightly sweat the red onion, garlic and serrano chile over medium heat until onions are soft.
9. In a large mixing bowl mash roasted butternut and black beans with fork.
10. Fold in quinoa, pistachios, onion mixture, chilli powder, butternut squash seeds and salt, mix lightly after each addition of ingredients.
11. Fold in the breadcrumbs and mix until well combined.
12. Using a cookie cutter, shape the mixture to make about 6 patties.
13. On a hot cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and fry the burgers until lightly browned on each side, add more oil if needed.
14. Serve hot as desired.
If you don’t have cookie cutter just shape the patties with wet hands. Recipe Courtesy of: cookingstoned.tv
Calories 471Calories from Fat 194
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 808 mg33.67%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.7%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 15 g30%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2826Calories from Fat 1164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g202.8%
Saturated Fat 18 g90%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4848 mg202.02%
Total Carbohydrates 336 g112.2%
Dietary Fiber 66 g264%
Sugars 24 g
Protein 90 g180%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet