|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) , chilled (2 Sticks)|
|Milk||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||1/2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Warm water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (105 Degree To 115 Degree)|
|Softened butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
1) Lengthwise, equally cut each stick of chilled butter into 3 portions.
2) Between sheets of waxed paper, place 2 sticks next to each other.
3) Using a rolling pin, flatten the butter into an 8-inch square.
4) Repeat with the rest of the butter.
5) Refrigerate the butter for at least 1 1/2 hours.
6) Scald 2/3 cup milk and cool to 105° to 115°.
7) In a bowl, add warm water and dissolve the yeast.
8) Stir in the scalded milk, 1/4 cup butter, sugar, salt, eggs, and 2 cups flour.
9) Beat the mix till smooth.
10) Slowly stir in enough of the remaining flour, and mix till a soft dough is formed.
11) On a floured surface, turn out the dough, and knead for 5 to 8 minutes till smooth and elastic.
12) In a greased bowl, place the dough and turn to grease top.
13) Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise.
14) After 1 hour, the dough should be doubled.
15) Punch down the dough.
16) Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
17) Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
18) Roll into a 25- x 10-inch rectangle.
19) Place 1 square of firm butter in the center of the dough.
20) Fold over the dough to make 3 layers.
21) Turn it into a one quarter turn, and roll out.
22) Repeat twice, placing one butter square each time.
23) Cut the dough crosswise into halves, and cover and chill for 1 hour.
24) Remove half of the dough from refrigerator and roll into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle.
25) Cut in half lengthwise and cut each half crosswise into 3 squares.
26) Diagonally cut each square into 2 triangles.
27) Tightly roll up each triangle, beginning at the wide end.
28) Seal the points, and place point side down on greased baking sheets.
29) Curve into crescent shapes.
30) Repeat with the rest of the dough.
31) Chill for 30 minutes.
32) In a bowl, combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk.
33) Brush over the croissants.
34) Place in the oven at 475° for 5 minutes.
35) Lower oven temperature to 400°.
36) Continue baking for 8 to 10 minutes, till golden brown.
37) Goes well with breakfast tea or serve as a tea time snack.
Calories 376Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.3%
Saturated Fat 12 g60%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 264 mg11%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4512Calories from Fat 2232
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 252 g387.6%
Saturated Fat 144 g720%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3168 mg132%
Total Carbohydrates 480 g159.6%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 84 g168%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet