Betty demonstrates chunky beef chili con carne.
|Please refer to the video.|
1. Place 1 ½ tablespoons peanut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Season 2 ½ pounds bottom round steak cubes with 2 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Place half of the seasoned steak cubes into the hot oil and arrange them into a single layer.
3. Brown the steak cubes on the bottom side, then use tongs to turn them to brown them on the top side. Remove browned steak cubes to a bowl for storage and repeat the browning process for the rest of the steak cubes.
4. Add the chopped jalapeno pepper, chopped onion, chopped red bell pepper half and chopped green bell pepper half into the drippings that remain in the bottom of the pot.
5. Cook over low to medium heat and soften for about 5 minutes. Season the softened vegetables with 2 tablespoons chili powder (or less), 1 teaspoon cumin, and ½ teaspoon oregano. Add finely chopped garlic. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds to a minute.
6. Now, return steak cubes (including juice) to softened, seasoned vegetables. Add diced tomatoes and green chilies.
7. Next, add tomato sauce and brown sugar, if desired. Stir the mixture around and add about 3 cups water, or enough for the liquid to reach the top of the meat and vegetable mixture.
8. Bring chili mixture to a boil over medium to high heat. Once it comes to a boil, cover with a lid that fits, reduce heat, and cook for 1 hour. Remove lid, taste and adjust flavor, if needed, and cook (without lid) for another hour.
9. Serve the Chunky Chili Con Carne immediately with corn tortilla chips (or other favorite chili accompaniment).
This chili is spicy and hot, but you can make it tamer (or hotter!) by just adjusting the ingredients, as given in the suggestions above.