|Beef tongue||3 Pound (fresh)|
|Cotechino sausage/Other uncooked pork / beef sausage||1 Pound|
|Boneless lean beef||2 Pound , well trimmed, rolled and securely tied (1 joint, chuck, silverside or topside)|
|Boneless veal||2 Pound , trimmed, rolled and tied securely (1 joint, loin or leg)|
|Onions||4 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and cut in half|
|Celery stalks with leaves||4|
|Salt||2 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Whole chicken||3 Pound|
1. In a large sauce pan place tongue. Cover tongue completely with cold water. Place it over high heat and boil.
2. Reduce the heat and cover the pan.
3. Simmer the tongue for about 3 hours, until the meat shows no resistance when it is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
4. Drain excess water from the tongue.
5. With a sharp knife, skin it, cutting away the fat, bones and gristle at its base.
6. In a large pan, lay the sausage flat. Cover it with cold water.
7. Prick the sausage in 5 or 6 places, to release some of the fat from the sausage.and to prevent it from bursting as it cooks.
8. Boil the water.Lower the heat and simmer the sausage, uncovered, for another 45 minutes.
9. Remove it from the pan when it is done and put it aside.
10. In a large saucepan, combine beef, onions, carrots, celery tops, parsley, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns.
11. Pour in enough cold water to cover the meat completely.
12. Bring it to the boil over a high heat.
13. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
14. Reduce the heat and partially cover and allow the beef to simmer for 1 hour before adding the veal.
15. Let the meats simmer together for another 30 minutes, skimming the surface fat as necessary.
16. Add chicken.
17. Cook for 15 minutes, and then add the tongue and sausage.
18. Simmer partially covered for 20 to 30 minutes longer, until the meat is tender.
19. Take a carving board, and transfer the beef, veal, chicken,
tongue and sausage on it.
20. With a sharp knife, peel the skin from the sausage.(If you wish, strain the broth, discarding the vegetables and seasonings, and serve it as a soup course with pasta in it.)
21. Then carve the sausage, beef, veal and tongue into thin, even slices.
22. In a large heated dish, arrange the slices attractively.
23. Carve the chicken into serving pieces and arrange with the sliced meat.
24. Serve Bolliti Misti hot, accompanied by salsa verde.
Calories 2934Calories from Fat 1804
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 200 g307.7%
Saturated Fat 41 g205%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4169 mg173.71%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 254 g508%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 11736Calories from Fat 7216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 800 g1230.8%
Saturated Fat 164 g820%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 16676 mg694.84%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 1016 g2032%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet