Mock comfort food something healthy Fakin' Asparagus!!! Easy dish to make that will wow you and your company. Great comfort dish with the fantastic combination of smoky, salty, crunchy with crisp, clean, caramelized heaven. Fakin' Asparagus is a great appetizer especially in the spring and early summer when asparagus is in season. Fakin' Asparagus is a fun appetizer that has a comfy feel to it. Try it now while the asparagus is still in season.
I use Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips because they are the closest to the bacon essence. They are very similar to the salad topping Bacos, which are vegetarian as well. They are also lower in fat, cholesterol and calories.
|Veggie bacon strips||150 Gram (Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips 1 box)|
|Asparagus spears||36 Large (or about 72 thin small ones)|
|Fresh parmesan cheese||4 Tablespoon , shaved (Optional)|
1. Defrost the Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips for at least 1 hour to increase ease of handling.
2. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. Break the ends of the asparagus stalks by holding at the blunt end and a 1/4 of the way down from the tip. This will allow the asparagus to break at the best point to eliminate any excessive fibrous ends.
4. Spray baking dish with olive oil, place rinsed trimmed asparagus in pan, sprinkle with pepper and toss in pan.
5. Bake at 400F for 5 minutes, 3-4 minutes if the stalks are thin.
6. Remove the asparagus and let cool for about 5 minutes, until they are at a comfortable temperature for handling.
7. Grab 2-4 stalks of asparagus all facing the same direction and one MF bacon strip. Wrap the asparagus with the fakin from the tip down on an angle slightly overlapping.
8. Place in the same baking dish with the edge of the fakin closest to the bottom of the spear face down on the pan to prevent it from unraveling.
10. Bake at 400F for about 4 minutes, until the strips have browned. Watch closely as they brown quickly since they are defrosted. Remove from oven once lightly browned.
11. Let the asparagus bundles cool for about 5 minutes and serve warm garnished with Parmesan cheese if you like.