This is the Lebanese version of the Turkish doner kebab or Greek gyros. It is traditionally cooked on a rotisserie in restaurants but this recipe helps anyone make it at home. It can be served on top of a fatoush salad or in a toasted pita sandwich. Dede's garlic sauce is a perfect compliment to this sandwich and is traditionally served that way.
|Chicken breast boneless||2 Medium , cut into strips (skinless)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Greek yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon , minced|
|Cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon , ground|
|Seven spices||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pita pocket||5 Medium|
|Green pickle||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Turnip pickle||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, cover and let marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat pan and add 3 tablespoon olive oil, add chicken and let cook for 10 minutes until chicken browns, cook for an additional 2 minutes if necessary to brown.
3. To make sandwich, use pita bread, spread garlic sauce on pita, add chicken, kabees (turnip pickle) and green pickles (you can add tomatoes and lettuce if desired).
4. Roll sandwich and press in the grill press to make sandwich crispy for 3 minutes.
5. In a serving plate, serve the shawarma with fries, pickles, garlic sauce and salad.
If using DedeMed's shawarma spice replace cardamom, cinnamon stick, 7 spices, paprika, dried parsley and cayenne pepper with 2 tablespoon Dede's Chicken Shawarma spice