In this episode, Cathlyn introduces Kimchi, the heart and soul of Korean food. Later, Liquid Chef Woody makes a special Kimchi Mary!
|For cabbage kimchi|
|Cabbage||1 , chopped|
|Daikon raddish||1 , cut into pieces|
|Chive||1 Bunch (100 gm) , chopped|
|Onion||1/2 Large , sliced|
|For pickling brine|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rock salt||2 Tablespoon (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|For kimchi sauce|
|Ginger||2 Tablespoon , peeled and crushed|
|Garlic clove||5 , crushed|
|Fish sauce||7 Tablespoon (korean anchovy sauce used)|
|Organic cane sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|For kimchi mary|
|Gochujang chili paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1/2 , juiced|
|Tomato juice||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon grass||1 , cut into four spears|
|Ice||1 Cup (16 tbs) , crushed|
|For tofu kimchi stir fry|
|Tofu||200 Gram , cut into cubes|
|Sunflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1 Pinch|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Kimchi||2 Tablespoon , chopped|
|Baby spinach||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Broccoli slaw||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shredded cheese||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shredded carrots||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Gochujang vinaigrette||1 Teaspoon|
|For kimchi egg rolls|
|Egg roll wrapper||1 Packet|
|Kimchi tofu||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grapeseed oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For peanut sauce:|
|Roasted peanuts||1 Tablespoon , crushed|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Anchovy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Red pomegranate vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Oyster sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Gochujang vinaigrette||1 Tablespoon|
For Cabbage Kimchi
1. In a large bowl, place the cabbage and daikon radish. In another bowl, mix rock salt and water to prepare the pickling brine and pour over the cabbage and radish mixture. Set aside for 3 hours.
2. For kimchi sauce: in a bowl, combine all the ingredients listed for kimchi sauce and mix well.
3. Drain the brined cabbage and daikon radish and rinse. Add the onion, chives and leek, pour in the prepared kimchi sauce. Mix well using your hands, wear disposable gloves since the chili flakes can get into your nails.
4. Transfer the kimchi to an onggi jar and let the kimchi stay at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours before transferring it to the refrigerator.
5. Serve as desired or use for preparing other recipes.
For Kimchi Mary
1. In a blender jar, add the kimchi along with some of its juice. Now add the gochujang chili paste and lime juice. Top it with tomato juice and blend well.
2. Using a strainer, strain the prepared mixture in a jar.
3. Fill the serving glasses with crushed ice, pour in the soju and top with the prepared kimchi mary.
4. Serve garnished with a lemongrass spear.
For Tofu Kimchi Stir Fry
1. In a pan, heat some sunflower oil, add the tofu and saute until light golden in color. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Break the eggs into the pan and cook stirring along with the tofu. Now add the kimchi and allow the flavors to blend well. Turn off the heat.
3. Add in the baby spinach, broccoli slaw, shredded cheese, shredded carrot. Stir well
4. Serve garnished with gachujang vinaigrette.
For Kimchi Egg Rolls
1. Place the egg roll wrappers on a flat surface, spoon some kimchi tofu stir fry in the center and fold as shown in the video. Repeat the procedure with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling.
2. In a skillet, heat the grapeseed oil. Place the rolls in the skillet and cook until golden brown.
3. Remove on to paper towels to soak extra oil.
4. For the peanut sauce: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce and mix well.
5. Cut the egg rolls into half and serve them accompanied with the peanut dipping sauce.
Calories 843Calories from Fat 241
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4126 mg171.92%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.7%
Dietary Fiber 14 g56%
Sugars 49 g
Protein 29 g58%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3372Calories from Fat 964
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g166%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 16504 mg687.68%
Total Carbohydrates 440 g146.8%
Dietary Fiber 56 g224%
Sugars 196 g
Protein 116 g232%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet