Feeling sweet? Thinking of sweetness just makes me want to eat cake, so I've decided to meet my friend Cheryl at her Bake-It-Yourself store in Taipei to learn how to make her scrumptiously sweet Piñata Cake. It's a cake that is also a piñata... what genius!
|For orange almond butter cake|
|Egg yolks||6 Medium|
|Plain flour||156 Gram|
|Almond flour||120 Gram|
|Double action baking powder||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||6 Tablespoon|
|Orange zest||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||6 Medium|
|For classic buttercream frosting|
|Unsalted butter||226 Gram , softened|
|Icing sugar||400 Gram , sifted (300|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Green food color||5 Drop|
|Pink food color||5 Drop|
|Yellow food color||5 Drop|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|M&m candy||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease two bowl pans with butter and set aside.
2. Sift cake flour and baking powder together.
3. Beat butter and sugar together until it is light and creamy.
4. Add in egg yolks into butter and sugar mixture, one at a time. Make sure it is well beaten after each addition.
5. Mix in almond flour, salt and orange rind. Beat to combine.
6. Mix in cake flour, baking powder and orange juices. Again beat to combine.
7. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until thick and foamy.
8. Add in sugar slowly, and beat till mixture reaches a soft peak.
9. Take one portion of the egg white mixture, and use a hand whisk to stir well with egg yolk batter till it becomes thick.
10. Fold in remaining egg white mixture into egg yolk batter.
11. Spoon into the prepared pan, and bake for 55 minutes.
12. For Classic Buttercream Frosting – Beat butter with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed, until soft.
13. Add 300g icing sugar to butter and beat at lowest speed until all the sugar has been incorporated with the butter.
14. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt and 2 tbsp. of milk. Beat for about 3 minutes.
15. Adjust consistency of buttercream by either adding more sifted sugar for stiffer consistency, or more milk for softer consistency.
16. Divide the frosting into 3 equal parts and mix the food colors.
17. Spread some green frosting on bottom of one cake and slightly hollow the top. Place M&M candies into the cake and cover with another cake.
18. In a piping bag, add in all 3 frostings and make flowers on the cake, as shown in the video. Decorate with some candies.
19. Slice the cake and serve for dessert.
Calories 763Calories from Fat 446
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.5%
Saturated Fat 28 g140%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 264 mg11%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 54 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 7630Calories from Fat 4460
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 510 g785%
Saturated Fat 280 g1400%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2640 mg110%
Total Carbohydrates 720 g240%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 540 g
Protein 80 g160%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet