Personal Chef Sally Cameron shows us how to make the most tender flank steak with ginger and sake married with vegetable sides. She also shares a second recipe black-and-white sesame salmon, super easy to make.
|For the flank steak|
|Flank steak||2 Pound , fat trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch strips|
|Mushroom||1 Cup (16 tbs) , sliced|
|Asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm) , cut at an angle|
|Low sodium soy sauce||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sake||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) , divided|
|Agave syrup||3 Tablespoon|
|Ginger puree||2 Tablespoon (organic with no high fructose corn syrup)|
|Balsamic vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm) , minced (or 3 large cloves)|
|Chives||1 1/2 Tablespoon , chopped finely|
|For the black and white salmon|
|Salmon fillet||16 Ounce , skin peeled, deboned, cleaned|
|Toasted sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste (Penzeys Szechuan Pepper Salt blend)|
|Oil||1 Tablespoon , divided (any unflavored oil)|
|White sesame seeds||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Black sesame seeds||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh chives||1 Tablespoon , chopped finely (for garnish) (Optional)|
|For the salad|
|Baby spinach leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm) , cleaned|
|Orange juice/Vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange||1/4 Medium , segmented|
|Onion||1/4 Medium , cut into rings|
For The Flank Steak
1. In a bowl mix soy sauce, 1/2 cup of sake, agave nectar, ginger puree, balsamic vinegar, garlic and chives till combined.
2. In a zip lock bag put the flank steak. Pour the marinade and seal it. Let it marinate for 1 hour. Drain it.
3. Heat a pan on medium heat. Place the steak strips flat on the lan and sear them till caramelized on both the sides (do not overcrowd the pan, cook in batches). Transfer onto a baking pan.
4. In the same pan add the asparagus and pour 2 tablespoons of sake. Deglaze the pan and cook for few minutes or till the asparagus is tender. Transfer into the baking pan. Repeat this with the mushrooms also.
5. In a serving platter, serve the flank steak hot with the sautéed vegetables.
For The Black and White Salmon
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the rounded side of the salmon. Drizzle little sesame oil on it and rub to coat.
2. In a plate mix black and white sesame seeds. Place the coated side down on the sesame seeds and press gently. Place it on a parchment paper or plate.
3. In a pan heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium heat. Once hot, place the salmon sesame coated side down. Cook until the seeds turn golden and form a crust.
4. Reduce the heat to low and flip the salmon gently. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
5. SALAD DRESSING: In a bowl mix oil, orange juice salt and pepper and sesame oil till combined.
6. In a serving plate, place the salmon. Put a portion of baby spinach leaves, orange segments and onion. Drizzle the salad dressing on top of the salad and salmon and serve fresh.
Calories 871Calories from Fat 360
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1176 mg49%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 74 g148%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3484Calories from Fat 1440
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 156 g240%
Saturated Fat 32 g160%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4704 mg196%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 52 g
Protein 296 g592%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet