This is a spicy dish, wherein the fish is coated with a batter and deep fried in oil. To enhance the flavor of the dish, the fried fish is served with stir fried vegetables and a sauce poured over it. As a variation, the dish can be prepared dry without the sauce and can be served as an appetizer.
|Boneless fish||1 Kilogram , cut into bite sized pieces|
|For the fish marinade|
|Black pepper powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For frying the marinated fish|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed for deep frying)|
|For the sauce|
|Chicken stock||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato ketchup||2 Tablespoon|
|Chili garlic sauce||To Taste|
|For the vegetables|
|Finely chopped ginger||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped garlic||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red chilies||2 Medium|
|Green bell pepper||1/4 Small , chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1/4 Small , chopped|
|Mushrooms||100 Gram , sliced|
|Green onion stalks||1 Medium , finely chopped|
|Black pepper powder||1 Pinch|
|To thicken the sauce|
|Cornflour||2 1/4 Teaspoon (Dissolved in 1 tbsp water)|
|For the garnish|
|Green onions||2 Tablespoon , finely chopped|
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well to form a paste like batter.
2. Spread the marinade all over each of the fish pieces, cover and set aside in the refrigerator for about 60 minutes.
3. In a pan heat the oil and deep fry the marinated fish until browned on both sides. Once done, remove onto paper towels and set aside.
4. In a saucepan, add in vinegar, chicken stock, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and chili garlic sauce. Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for a couple of minutes, turn off the heat and set aside.
5. Heat a wok with some oil, fry the ginger, garlic and red chilies for about 30 seconds.
6. Add the bell peppers, mushrooms, green onions and stir fry on high heat for a couple of minutes.
7. Then, add the fried fish pieces and gently stir in the prepared sauce.
8. Stir in the cornflour dissolved in water mixture, stir continuously until the sauce starts boiling again and thickens. Then, turn off the heat.
9. Garnish with freshly chopped green onions.
10. Serve hot with fried rice or noodles or any other dish of your choice.
Calories 357Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 4 g20%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 174 mg7.25%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 31 g62%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2142Calories from Fat 1200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g202.8%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1044 mg43.5%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 186 g372%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet