Craving for a spicy and hearty soup? Yukgaejang is one of the dishes Koreans eat to regain stamina during the summer. But, it's also great for winter especially when you have a cold. Its hot and spicy soup will clear your system and it is full of nutritious ingredients that will help you regain strength. It was part of the Korean royal cuisine back in the days and is widely loved by Koreans today.
|Beef brisket||600 Gram|
|Onion||1/2 Medium , cut into chunks|
|Mung bean sprout||4 Ounce|
|Dried fernbrake||2 Ounce (Go|
|Taro stem||2 Ounce , dried|
|Green onion||3 Large , cut into pieces (Korean green onions)|
|Korean radish||1/4 , cut into bite size pieces|
|Red chili pepper flakes||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon , minced|
|Soy sauce for soup||2 Tablespoon (Gook|
|Sesame oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (or more if needed)|
|Water||16 Cup (256 tbs)|
|Peppercorn||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
1. Soak taro stem and fernbrake separately in cold water for around 6 hours (ideal). 1 hour soaking is also fine.
2. Soak beef brisket in cold water for an hour.
3. Wash the mung bean sprouts thoroughly in cold water. Blanch in boiling water and rinse and drain. Set aside (optional).
4. In another pot of boiling water with salt, blanch taro stem for around 7 minutes. Rinse and squeeze out the water. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Set aside. Repeat this with the fernbrake.
5. In a pot, add beef, onion, 3 pieces of green onion, peppercorn (if using), cold water. Bring it to boil on medium heat and cook covered for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes remove the beef and vegetables from the stock and let it cool completely. Shred the beef. Set aside.
7. SAUCE: In a bowl, add red chiili flakes, sesame oil, soy sauce for soup, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix them well till combined.
8. In a large bowl, put the mung bean sprout, taro stem, fernbrake, shredded beef and radish and mix them with 2/3 of the sauce. Mix them well till all are coated.
9. Return this mixture into the beef stock, stir, cover and on medium heat boil for 40 minutes.
10. SPICY OIL: In a pan, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes. Stir and fry for 3 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoon of vegetable oil and continue to fry for another 3 minutes. Stir continuously. Strain it into a bowl. Set aside.
11. After 40 minutes, add the green onions, remaining 1/3 of the sauce and the spicy oil into the soup, stir to mix. Taste and adjust salt if required. Continue to boil for another 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
12. In a serving bowl, serve the soup hot with an accompaniment of your choice or as it is.
If using pre-blanched fernbrake, then just rinse it and squeeze out the water.
For More Korean Recipes and Useful Tips, Visit Crazy Korean Cooking
For Ingredients and Cookware, Visit Crazy Korean Shopping
Calories 486Calories from Fat 349
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60%
Saturated Fat 10 g50%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1361 mg56.71%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 22 g44%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2916Calories from Fat 2094
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 234 g360%
Saturated Fat 60 g300%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 8166 mg340.26%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 24 g96%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 132 g264%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet