Looking for great party Hors d'Oeuvres? San Jeok is delicious and its vibrant colours make it a perfect dish for parties and gatherings. You can make a vegetarian version easily. Koreans enjoy San Joek on special holidays like New Year's Day or Korean Thanksgiving Day. Families would come together and make this together while sharing stories and laughter. Invite your friends and try it!
|Beef sirloin steak||11 Ounce , cut into 2 inch strips|
|Carrot||1/2 Large , peeled, cut into 2 inch strips|
|Rice cake||7 Ounce , cut into 2 inch strip or tubes (Optional)|
|Crab meat||7 Ounce , cut into 2 inch strips (Optional)|
|Soy sauce||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) , divided|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon , minced|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , divided|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
1. Wash a pat dry the mushrooms. Remove the stem and cut the caps into 2 inch strips.
2. Clean the green onions and cut the green part into 2 inch strips and chop the white part. Put them separately.
3. MARINADE: In a bowl, add 3 tablespoon soy sauce, sugar, 2 tablespoon water, sesame oil, chopped garlic, chopped green onion, black pepper. Mix them well till combined.
4. In separate bowls, take beef strips and mushroom strips.
5. Pour 1/3 of the marinade into mushroom bowl and mix them well. Pour the rest of the marinade into the beef bowl and mix well. Marinate for around 30 minutes.
6. In a wide bowl, add the eggs and salt. Mix well till combined. Set aside.
7. In a plate, put the flour.
8. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Put the carrot strips and season with salt and pepper. Saute till tender and set aside.
9. Take a skewer and thread beef, mushroom, green onion, crab meat, rice cake, carrots in order as desired.
10. Dredge them in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
11. Dip them in the egg mixture to coat well.
12. In a pan, heat vegetable oil on medium heat. Place the skewers and cook them on 1 side for 5 minutes till golden. Flip and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
13. Transfer them onto paper towels to drain off excess oil.
14. DIPPING SAUCE: In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon water and vinegar.
15. In a serving plate, arrange the skewers and serve with the dipping sauce.
To make this dish lacto-ovo vegetarian, omit the beef and crab meat.
For More Korean Recipes and Useful Tips, Visit Crazy Korean Cooking
For Ingredients and Cookware, Visit Crazy Korean Shopping
Calories 1976Calories from Fat 811
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g141.5%
Saturated Fat 18 g90%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4824 mg201%
Total Carbohydrates 207 g69%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 81 g162%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3952Calories from Fat 1622
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 184 g283%
Saturated Fat 36 g180%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 9648 mg402%
Total Carbohydrates 414 g138%
Dietary Fiber 22 g88%
Sugars 40 g
Protein 162 g324%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet