This week we're back and we're teaching you how to make a classic Vietnamese dish-pho! To be more exact, pho bo aka pho with beef!
|For the broth|
|Beef bones||1 Pound (preferably with marrow)|
|Beef chuck||1 Pound , cut into cubes|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Daikon radish||1 Medium , peeled, cut into large pieces|
|Rock sugar||1 (piece)|
|Salt||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Noodles/Portobello mushroom||1 Cup (16 tbs) , dried (bahn pho)|
|Beef sirloin||1/4 Pound (raw eye of round, sirloin, beef balls)|
|Cilantro||1 Teaspoon , chopped|
|Scallions||1 Teaspoon , chopped|
|Basil leaves||1 Teaspoon , chopped|
|Bean sprouts||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1/8 Medium , cut into wegde|
1. Over a stove take either 1 medium onion or slice large onion in half and start charring it (if you have a gas stove, just hold it over the open flame until the skin blackens). Repeat with ginger.
2. Rinse onion and ginger under warm water and remove blackened skin.
3. Parboil beef bones in some water for about 3 minutes, to remove the impurities. Drain the water and rinse beef bones under warm water.
4. Into a pot add beef bones to 6 quarts of fresh water. Let it come to a boil and start adding the other ingredients.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for at least 3 hours; the more you cook it, the more the broth will be infused with flavor.
6. While simmering, constantly use a strainer to remove any gunk/ foam from the top layer of the broth.
7. After the 1 1/2 hours, take the beef chuck chunks out of the broth and let them sit in some cold water for about 10 minutes so they will stop cooking. Cover and refrigerate it until used.
8. In a pot of boiling water quickly blanch the noodles water for about 20 seconds. Drain and put in a bowl.
9. Slice eye of round pieces and put into bowl, raw. Add in any other meat as desired, like the beef chuck from earlier or beef balls.
10. Add in cilantro, scallions, and sliced onions, if so desired.
11. While broth is at a rolling boil, ladle some soup into the bowl so that the meat will get cooked by it.
12. Squeeze a lime wedge over it.
13. In the serving bowl, garnish the soup with basil and bean sprouts and serve hot.