A Korean stew that is popular with bachelor/rettes. It is an easy recipe that combines buttery ramen noodles and chewy rice cakes.
|For the stock|
|Shrimp stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kelp pieces||2 (2" piece of kelp)|
|For the paste|
|Gochujang/Red pepper paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Gochugaru/Red pepper flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Large , chopped|
|Chopped cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice cakes||2 Cup (32 tbs) , soaked and drained|
|Ramen noodle block||1|
|Green onions||2 , chopped|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. For the paste – In a food processor, grind together the pepper paste and flakes, garlic, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Blend until smooth and set aside.
2. For the stock – In a saucepan, add in the kelp and shrimp stock. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Extract the kelp and set aside.
3. In a pan, heat sesame oil and tip in onion and sauté for a few seconds.
4. Add in the carrot and cabbage; heat for a few minutes.
5. Toss in the rice cakes and paste; stir until everything is coated.
6. Slowly pour in the stock and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bring the stew to a low and slow bubble. Add the noodles and cook until both the noodles and rice cakes are tender.
8. Garnish with cheese and scallions.
Ladle out the stew and serve.