A Korean stew that is popular with bachelor/rettes. It is an easy recipe that combines buttery ramen noodles and chewy rice cakes.
|For the stock|
|Shrimp stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kelp pieces||2 (2" piece of kelp)|
|For the paste|
|Gochujang/Red pepper paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Gochugaru/Red pepper flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Large , chopped|
|Chopped cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice cakes||2 Cup (32 tbs) , soaked and drained|
|Ramen noodle block||1|
|Green onions||2 , chopped|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. For the paste – In a food processor, grind together the pepper paste and flakes, garlic, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Blend until smooth and set aside.
2. For the stock – In a saucepan, add in the kelp and shrimp stock. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Extract the kelp and set aside.
3. In a pan, heat sesame oil and tip in onion and sauté for a few seconds.
4. Add in the carrot and cabbage heat for a few minutes.
5. Toss in the rice cakes and paste stir until everything is coated.
6. Slowly pour in the stock and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Bring the stew to a low and slow bubble. Add the noodles and cook until both the noodles and rice cakes are tender.
8. Garnish with cheese and scallions.
Ladle out the stew and serve.