Spinach artichoke dip has to be one of the most popular appetizers of all time. Although the traditional varieties depend on dairy ingredients for their base, this vegan alternative is rich and creamy, with a hint of smokiness from cumin. Learn a tofu technique to replace all cream based sauces that is dairy free and much lower in fat and calories.
|Soy milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Silken tofu||1 Carton (1 l)|
|Nutritional yeast||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||Medium , finely diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm) , minced|
|Spinach||15 Ounce , washed and drained|
|Artichoke heart||1 Can (10 oz) , drained, rinsed, chopped|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon , ground|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1. Blend tofu in food processor till smooth and creamy
2. In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent.
3. Add garlic and artichokes till it is dry. Add the spices and sauté till cooked.
4. Stir in spinach, one handful at a time, until all is incorporated. Stir in the artichokes and cook for a few minutes.
5. Fold in the yeast mixture and mix well.
6. Last pour in tofu and lemon juice. Season with black pepper and adjust salt if necessary.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature in a bread bowl or with raw, crunchy chilled vegetables.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1233Calories from Fat 364
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.1%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2903 mg120.96%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.7%
Dietary Fiber 38 g152%
Sugars 47 g
Protein 94 g188%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet