Here are 2 video recipes. one from the west and one from the south. My good buddy Rus, from Smoky Ribs, will be tackling a west coast favorite, fish tacos and I will be preparing a southern dish blacken catfish smothered with craw fish etouffee.
|For crawfish etouffee sauce|
|Celery stalk||1 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped|
|Bell pepper||1 Medium , chopped|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Crawfish tail||1 Pound|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (or more if needed)|
|For blacken catfish|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Blackened seasoning||2 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Chopped green onion||1 Tablespoon|
|White sauce for fish taco|
|Mayo||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Zest of lemon||1/2|
|Juice of lemon||1|
|Jalapeno||1 , seeded, cored, minced|
|Minced capers||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dried dill weed||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Batter for fish taco|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Beer||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Filling for fish tacos|
|Catfish fillet||1 Pound , cut into strips|
|All purpose flour||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Corn tortillas||6 (as needed)|
|Shredded green cabbage||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (as needed)|
For Crawfish Etoufee Sauce and Blacken Catfish:
1. Place a saucepan on flame, melt butter and add onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add flour and saute for another 5-10 minutes or until flour is cooked
3. Stir in tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Then add crawfish and mix well. Pour 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and add cayenne pepper.
For Blacken Catfish
4. Baste fish with melted butter and coat with seasoning on both sides.
5. Place cast iron skillet on flame, pour melted butter and oil in it.
6. Place catfish in hot oil and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
7. Garnish with green onion and serve catfish with etoufee on top.
For Fish Taco:
For White Sauce:
1. In a bowl, combine mayo, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill weed, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and beer. Pour the mixture into the bowl with flour and mix to form batter (pancake batter consistency). Set aside.
4. Roll fish strips in flour, shake to remove excess and then dip them in batter, one at a time. Place on a plate and set aside.
5. In a pan, heat oil and fry fish for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain off excess oil. Fry in batches.
6. Fry corn tortillas in oil
7. On fried tortillas, place fried fish, lay cabbage and top it with sauce.
8. Serve and enjoy!