Betty demonstrates how to make Butter-Basted Roast Turkey for Thanksgiving. This is a traditional entree for a Southern Thanksgiving table.
|Uncooked turkey||10 Pound|
|Butter stick||1 , softened|
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
2. Remove turkey packing, rinse and pat dry.
3. Remove neck and giblets from inside and place turkey in a roasting pan. The pan must be slightly larger than the turkey.
4. Use about half of the butter and coat the inside and outside of the turkey, turning as necessary.
5. Season both inside and outside with salt and fold the wings behind the shoulders and tie the legs together with string.
6. Cover the roasting pan with lid and bake for about 3 ½ hours or until thermometer reads 180 degree F when inserted at the thickest part of the thigh. Baste turkey with melted butter every ½ hour while baking.
7. About ½ hour before turkey is done, remove lid from roasting pan, in order for turkey to brown.
8. Remove turkey from oven, place on a plate and tent with foil for about 10 minutes. Drain and reserve broth for gravy.
9. Garnish turkey with fresh leaves of sage and whole cranberries, if desired. Carve and serve!