Muthia is a fist-shaped steamed snack that's much-loved by the Gujaratis. Doodhi and onions when combined with an apt combination of semolina and flours like whole wheat flour and besan yield delicious Doodhi Muthias. Ingredients like fennel, green chillies and coriander give the muthias a zesty flavour while a traditional tempering of mustard and sesame seeds gives it an appetizing aroma and awesome crunch. Enjoy the Doodhi Muthias right off the steamer.
|Grated bottle guard||2 Cup (32 tbs) (doodhi / lauki)|
|Grated onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (optional)|
|Whole wheat flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (gehun ka atta)|
|Semolina||1 Cup (16 tbs) (rava/sooji)|
|Besan||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Bengal gram flour)|
|Ginger green chilli paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (saunf)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander||4 Tablespoon (dhania, 2 tbsp is for mixing in bottle guard and 2 tbsp is for garnish)|
|Soda bi carb||2 Pinch|
|Asafoetida||1/3 Teaspoon , divided (hing, 1/2 tsp is to mix in bottle guard and 1/4 tsp is for tempering)|
|Oil||3 1/4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (til)|
1. Squeeze out excess water from the grated bottle gourd and onions and keep the liquid aside to knead the dough if required.
2. Combine the bottle gourd, onions, whole wheat flour, semolina, besan, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, lemon juice, sugar, coriander, soda bi-carb, asafoetida, salt and 1 tsp of oil in a bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using approx. ¼ cup of water
3. Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
4. Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approximately 150 mm. (6") length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
5. Arrange 2 rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 minutes.
6. Repeat step 5 to steam 2 more rolls.
7. Remove, cool slightly and cut into 12 mm. (½”) slices and keep aside.
8. For the tempering, heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
9. When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
10. Add the muthia pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour and crisp.
11. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.